Monday, August 22, 2011

First Grade & the Brink of Panic


Today was Aidan's first day of first grade. Last year in kindergarten, Aidan went nearly a full day {until 2 pm}, so this year was not as big a transition as the year prior. When we discussed starting school, Aidan seemed none to keen to the notion. However, the day started out with a measure of familiarity. Mia and I walked Aidan to school.... and watched in amazement at the school traffic:

In this picture, I think Aidan is speculating that he'd rather be home under a blanket, watching morning cartoons and eating pancakes.


Mia and I dropped Aidan off, said a prayer for his day, and gave him quick kisses good bye. After, Mia and I enjoyed the change of pace of just the two of us. We had bagels at Panera and talked about her cozy and safe new room. {I will post photos, see this post for context.}

There were a few business up's and down's, but it was a pretty good first day. Aidan rides the bus home. We live a half mile from the school, but because Aidan has special services, they bus him to our front door. {Yes, it's quite nice to avoid the car pool lane!} So, Mia and I sat on the front porch and waited for Aidan. It wasn't long before Aidan's bus was late... ten minutes late turned to twenty, twenty to thirty {I started pacing} and thirty to forty minutes late.

I have to say, in a crisis, I am generally a pretty even-keel parent. My mother was a nurse, so she taught me to stay calm at the sight of blood {I was have three younger brothers, so you can imagine... this also came in handy when Aidan broke his nose last year.} So, you would think, I was calm. But, creative mind that I am, ridiculous situations started to creep into my head: Aidan took the wrong bus home, random car accident, freak terrorist scheme... I knew all those were far unlikely to the reality that Aidan was crying at the school office, wondering if his mom forgot him. So, at 40 minutes late, I drove to the school, risking I might miss the bus, only to discover Aidan wasn't there. I was told said they "thought they saw him get on the bus," and I raced back home to wait further. At that point {the bus was now 50 minutes late} I called Robert and was a blubbering mess on the phone. Robert talked some calm into me, Mia was wide-eyed in the background, and we all agreed Aidan was on his way and would be home soon.

Finally, an hour later for a half mile drive, Aidan got off the bus. To my surprise, Aidan wasn't upset at all, but was all smiles, telling me about his first day, and how he rode the bus over the white bridge and back. The driver explained to me that his route included several other stops on the other side of town before bringing Aidan home. {This was unlike last year, when Aidan was home just 3 minutes after dismissal.} I held it together enough for the bus driver to leave and Aidan to make it in the house, vividly telling me about his day while he grabbed a snack. Once he was settled, I went into our bathroom and sobbed into a towel {so not to scare the kids} and let the adrenaline wear off. Even though I knew that the delay was probably just first day adjustments, it made me realize how much I love Aidan and how worried I was to have him unaccounted for, even if it was for only an hour. I don't know if you have ever had a scare like that with one of your children, but it's not easy to recover from.

So, to all of you with little kiddos back to school, I hope your week is back into the swing of a welcome routine--and certainly less eventful than mine!



Sam was late on the bus last year and it totally freaked me out too! Their bus broke down. I dont know why he didn't call me on his cell phone but I think maybe it was dead or he forgot it or something (He's not as attached at the hip to it as his sister is!) But yes, it's scary! I'm glad he is home safe and you are hopefully feeling better today! xo

LeilaRC said...

One of my biggest scares was when my girls were with their Dad shopping and a huge blizzard came out of the middle of nowhere and on the way home they got stuck on a very steep mountain as the snow continued to pile up around them. I cried/prayed/cried for at least an hour straight until I finally got a call saying they made it.
There was also a time when I thought my middle one was going to die because she had a heart rate so fast (240+bpm) that after checking her, the MedExpress Dr. stepped out of the room and said "Call 911!". I had no idea if she could die from it or not, but usually it is not life threatening. She has to take medication every day because of recurring episodes of it.
When things like that happen, it makes you so less worried about the "little things". You are just glad that they are alive and they are with you.


Share Joyfolie

Mia Joie
use Ctrl+C to copy and paste